To access your Y-DNA – Haplotree page:
- Sign in to your myFTDNA account.
- On the navigation bar at the top of the page, hover your cursor over myDNA, then Y-DNA, and then click Haplotree & SNPs from the drop-down menu.
On your dashboard, in the Y-DNA section, click Haplotree & SNPs.
You are directed to the Y-DNA – Haplotree page.
Y-DNA – Haplotree Basics
Once you have results from your Y-DNA testing, your confirmed or predicted haplogroup is displayed in the upper-left corner of the Y-DNA – Haplogroup page.
Additionally, on your dashboard Y-DNA widget your Y-DNA haplogroup is displayed in the upper-right corner of the widget.
Your Home Branch is the branch of the Haplotree to which you belong.
To view your Home Branch, click the Home Branch link located in the upper-left corner of the page, right above the Order SNP column.
In the Order SNP column, a red Add button is displayed for SNPs and SNP packs for which you have not tested yet. You can click this button to order the SNP or SNP pack.
The Branch column displays all of the branches in your haplogroup.
The Variants column displays the primary SNP and the mutations that have been validated and named for their respective branch on the haplotree. Note that the primary SNP is the first variant listed for the branch.
In the Variants column example image above:
- The first variant listed M170 is the primary SNP of the respective branch.
- The blue number listed to the right, in the example 209, is the total number of variants for the respective branch.
- To view all of the variants for a branch, click the hamburger menu () button (three vertical dots) located at the far right of the column.
Note: You will only have SNP Results and see the SNP Results button if you have taken individual SNP tests, a SNP Pack test, or the Big Y test. Additionally, users who have transferred their National Geographic Geno 2.0 or 2.0 Next Generation (a.k.a. 2+) results will see this section.
The SNP Results window contains the following columns:
- SNP Name – Name of the SNP for which you tested.
- Test Results – Displays whether you tested Positive (+) or Negative (-) for the SNP.
- Test Type – Displays the test you took for which the SNP was tested.
To access your SNP Results, click the blue SNP Results button located in the upper-left corner of the page (to the left of the View by field).
At the top of the page, the color-coded results key is displayed. These color codes are displayed for your haplogroup branches and for the variants of each branch.
The meanings of the results key are as follows:
- Tested Positive – You have tested positive for the primary SNP or variant.
- Tested Negative – You have tested negative for the primary SNP or variant.
- Downstream – You have not tested forthe primary SNP or variant, and FamilyTreeDNA cannot accurately presume if you are positive or negative for the primary SNP or variant.
- Presumed Positive – You are presumed positive for the primary SNP or variant. A person is predicted positive for SNPs that are above stream of a positively tested SNP.
- Presumed Negative – You are presumed negative for the primary SNP or variant. A person is presumed negative for sibling branches of SNPs for which you have tested positive.
Frequently Asked Questions
To determine if your Y-DNA haplogroup is confirmed or predicted, look at the top of your Y-DNA – Haplotree page (where your haplogroup is listed). You will see one of the following:
Confirmed Haplogroup is “haplogroup name” OR Predicted Haplogroup is “haplogroup name.”
Your Y-DNA haplogroup is predicted if you have not taken any Y-DNA SNP tests or the Big Y test.
A predicted haplogroup is the haplogroup which most closely resembles your haplotype (comprised of the first 12 STRs tested).
A confirmed haplogroup means that your Y-DNA haplogroup has been confirmed through SNP or Big Y testing.
In the Branch column, the red shopping basket icon () means that the branch is part of a SNP pack for which you have not tested yet. You can purchase the SNP pack by clicking on the red Add button in the Order SNP column.