Is your interest in verifying a genealogy? Is it in tracing historic migrations? Group Projects can help.
At FamilyTreeDNA, our Group Projects are for genealogy and history fans. They allow you to work together. This is the best way to reach your goals. To support this:
- We do not charge to start or run a Group Project through our website.
- We provide volunteer Group Administrators with a secure interface to manage their project.
- Membership in a Group Project is FREE.
- We offer a FREE Public Project Website to display project news and results.
- We give Group Projects reduced test pricing.
Group Projects are an opportunity to work with others to explore your genetic heritage. They are usually focused on a common geographic origin, surname, or ethnic heritage. They may also be based on some other aspect of a paternal or maternal lineage.
FamilyTreeDNA encourages customers’ participation in lineage and geographical projects. By transferring routine data management tasks to project administrators, we are able to offer a discounted testing rate to those who order through a project. Membership is FREE and voluntary. You may join or leave a project at any time.
Those who take a Y-chromosome DNA (Y-DNA) Test may join:
- Paternal lineage projects such as a Surname Project for all who have the same surname or a variant. Paternal lineage projects may also be a project specific to a suspected shared ancestor.
- Y-chromosome Geographical Projects to verify a possible point of origin for the paternal line.
- After testing, you may join a Y-Chromosome Haplogroup project to explore your haplogroup in a historic context.
Those who take a mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) Test may join:
- Maternal Lineage Projects for individuals that have or suspect having the same maternal line.
- Mitochondrial Geographical Projects to verify a possible point of origin for the maternal line.
- After testing, you may join an mtDNA Haplogroup project to explore your haplogroup in a historic context.